Original Article – Wealthy Health
In celebration of National Vitamin C Day, we have compiled information on the benefits of Vitamin C.
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is a natural vitamin present in many fruits and vegetables. It is water-soluble, so the human body does not retain it. This means that we have to consistently consume things that contain it daily to stay healthy.
Why do we need Vitamin C?
The human body needs Vitamin C for a number of important functions.
- It helps produce collagen, an abundant protein in your body which strengthens bones, skin, muscles, tendons and ligaments. As you age, your body produces less high-quality collagen.
- It helps produce L-carnitine which is an energy-producing nutrient transporting fatty acids to the mitochondria to create usable energy.
- It assists in creating some neurotransmitters.
- As an antioxidant, it removes unwanted reactive oxidative species (free radicals) which can cause oxidative stress to the body.
- It helps the body absorb iron, which your body needs for growth and development.
- It helps boost the immune system and enhances wound healing.
Some evidence suggests that Vitamin C may also help with cardiovascular health, cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, diabetes, pollution, allergies and motion sickness.
What happens if I don’t have Vitamin C?
Low levels of vitamin C may lead to scurvy. Its symptoms include swollen joints, bleeding gums, loose teeth, tiredness, and anaemia
How much Vitamin C do I need?
For adults, a minimum of 65 to 90 milligrams a day and a maximum of 2000mg a day is recommended.
However, too much Vitamin C can cause diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, heartburn, abdominal cramps, headache and insomnia.
Where can I get Vitamin C
You can find Vitamin C naturally by consuming fruit and vegetables such as sweet red pepper, tomato juice, orange juice, sweet green pepper, hot green chilli pepper, oranges, strawberries, papaya, pink grapefruit juice, broccoli, pineapple, potato, brussels sprouts, kiwifruit, mango, cantaloupe, cauliflower, lemon and white grapefruit.
Vitamin C can also be found in our Vitamin C supplements. You can purchase Wealthy Health All Day Vitamin C here.